The Admission Coordinator is responsible to the Admissions Director/Financial Counselor. Must communicate well and work closely with residents, families, admitting physicians, attorneys, and community agencies in addition to administration, business office, social workers, and nursing administration staff.
Assists with admissions to the Hale Makua nursing facilities to ensure as high a resident census as possible.
- Develops and assures the accurate and timely completion of all forms and documentation as required for admission to Hale Makua, as well as documents and forms needed by third-party payors.
- Assesses potential residents’ readiness for admission and verifies level of care, working closely with the Maui Memorial Medical Center hospital discharge planning team and visiting potential residents when necessary.
- Provides advice to assist residents and responsible parties with third-party payor application forms.
- Interprets Hale Makua’s policies and governmental regulations, related to admission and on-going stay, to residents and responsible parties.
- Complies, monitors, coordinates, and reports on all data and statistics regarding resident movement, waitlisted residents. Develops and maintains a system to track the status of all potential residents.
Provides financial counseling to residents and responsible parties and assists the Business Office in collecting delinquent receivables as directed.
- Advise resident/responsible party of the Hale Makua collection policy regarding advance deposits, making sure that arrangements are made for monies to be prepaid at all times.
- Works with resident/responsible party to expedite the collection process, and when necessary, develops a realistic alternate payment plan for residents/responsible parties who are unable to pay delinquent amounts immediately.
- Resolves collection problems by working with the Business Office, third-party payors, and/or attorneys.
- Provides information to residents and families concerning Medicaid/Medicare and other financial assistance programs available to the residents.
- Works with Department of Human Resources (DHS) case workers to answer inquiries regarding resident resources, to follow-up on denials.
Assists with assuring accurate and timely completion of annual Medicaid review forms for both facilities. Attends various meetings and serves on committees of Hale Makua and/or the community as required.
- May participate in community planning related to the interests of Hale Makua and the services and needs of residents and families.
- Acts as a liaison for Hale Makua by conducting visitor tours of the facilities; addressing civic, business and service organizations, and representing Hale Makua in community activities as requested.
Full-time. Work Schedule: Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm with some flexibility.
- Graduate from a recognized college with specialized training or degree in human services, psychology, sociology, or related field preferred; or and equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years’ experience coordinating admission in a health care facility admission. Experience working with Medicaid eligibility.
- Knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid, HMSA, Kaiser and other third-party rules and regulations applicable to Hale Makua is helpful.
- Strong communication, organization and interpersonal skills required. Must exercise a high degree of tact, courtesy and discretion in dealing with a variety of people and with confidential matters.
- Ability to prioritize well to meet multiple demands, and effectively problem solve. Must be able to work with frequent interruptions. Ability to relate and work effectively with ill, disabled, emotionally upset, and sometimes, hostile people.
- Must function independently, have integrity and the ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others. Also required to understand and apply knowledge of medical terminology, with numerical and clerical abilities.
- Well-groomed, professional appearance and demeanor. Must have working knowledge of computers. Current driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Non-Bargaining wages dependent upon education and relevant work experience.