Communications & Community Outreach Coordinator
The Communications and Community Outreach Coordinator is responsible to the Chief Development and Communications Officer and supervises the Volunteers. Must relate well and work harmoniously with Board members, donors, volunteers, department managers, staff members and the public.
1. In conjunction with the Chief Development & Communications Officer, develops a communications plan annually.
2. Manages creation, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials, including:
a) Quarterly print newsletters for an external audience.
b) Quarterly print newsletter for nursing home residents.
c) Bi-Monthly print newsletter for an internal audience.
d) Monthly e-mail newsletter to supporters.
e) Marketing, development, and solicitation materials, as needed.
f) Consistent and engaging postings and conversations on social media outlets, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
g) Maintain and update the organizational website with event announcements, photos, news articles, newsletters, press releases, etc.
h) Press releases, community news submissions, thank you letters, etc. as needed.
3. Writes development documents, including fundraising proposals, publications, and communication materials (cultivation, solicitation, and donor acknowledgment letters).
4. Creates mail lists from a database for segmented audiences.
5. Submits regular reports on communications activities, engagement levels, and progress.
6. Helps other staff members to prepare for workshops, trainings, guest speaker engagements, and other events to ensure that all communications are accurate and consistent.
7. Works with Chief Development & Communications Officer to identify media opportunities and implement campaigns around key programs and issues, including monitoring media cycles and updating media lists.
8. Assists in development and enforcement of Hale Makua Health Services’ Style Guide across all departments and all internal and external communications outlets.
1. Maintains a calendar and appropriate tracking of outreach activities, including community events, workshops, appearances and other community engagement opportunities.
2. Prepares an annual budget for community outreach activities.
3. Nurtures new and old relationships with collaborative partners.
4. Stewards positive relationships with the community through participation in events representing HMHS in a positive, professional manner.
5. Actively participates with local community organizations serving as the point of contact for HMHS.
6. Initiates relationships and facilitates introductions to the Chief Development & Communications Officer.
7. Available and prepared for outside speaking events.
8. Conducts tours of the HMHS facility for community groups.
9. Manages the recruitment and retention of volunteers:
a) Serves as primary point of contact for Hale Makua Health Services’ Volunteer Program. Responds to inquiries about volunteer opportunities.
b) Interviews, screens, and refers volunteer applicants to appropriate departments. Conducts background checks for volunteers. Arranges, documents, and tracks initial and annual tuberculin screening for all volunteers.
c) Orients and trains volunteers prior to assignment in specific neighborhoods or departments.
d) Arranges for on-the-job and other required training, supervision and evaluation of volunteers. Ensure departments provide direction to volunteers.
e) Serves as liaison between administration, staff, and volunteers.
f) Maintains volunteer files including database of volunteer names and hours completed.
Full-time day shift position with an occasional evening and/or night.
- Associate’s degree in business administration, marketing, communications or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of relevant experience.
- Must be knowledgeable in office organization, record keeping procedures, and business etiquette, and have the ability to retain some basic tax and legal information or skill in accessing such information.
- Proficiency with MS Office with the ability to perform mail merges and work in Publisher.
- Experience with Bloomerang or other relational database software, and the ability to perform data entry accurately.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated effectiveness in working with staff and volunteers at all levels.
- Must demonstrate tact and discretion in dealing with a variety of people and with confidential matters. Must demonstrate excellent organization skills, independent thinking, initiative and attention to detail.
- Well-groomed, professional appearance and demeanor.
- Must be available to attend meetings or assist with activities held in the evenings or on weekends.
Non-Bargaining. Wages commensurate upon education and relevant work experience.