Home Health Aide-In-Training
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The Home Health Aide-In-Training is responsible to the Clinical Manager in Home Health and must communicate and work effectively with patients, families, clinical instructors, and other employees on the care team.
- Participates in educational and clinical training activities. Attends classes on-line, on-premises trainings, and in-home clinical rotations.
- Attends and participates in pre- and post-clinical conference.
- Based on training and under supervision, learns and demonstrates knowledge and ability perform tasks to competently care for patients of Home Health by Hale Makua, including:
- Bed bath
- Sponge, tub and shower bath
- Hair shampooing in sink, tub and bed
- Nail and skin care
- Oral hygiene
- Toileting and elimination care
- Safe transfer techniques and ambulation
- Normal range of motion and positioning
- Adequate nutrition and fluid intake
- Recognizing and reporting changes in skin condition to the RN
- Reporting changes in the patient’s condition and needs to the RN
- Any other tasks the Home Health Agency may choose to have the Aide perform as permitted under state law
- Demonstrates compliance with Hale Makua Health Services safety policies and procedures.
- Performs only those tasks delegated by the supervising nurse on the plan of care.
- Assists in collection of pertinent objective and subjective patient care information.
- Demonstrates safe operation of patient care equipment. Properly wears and uses personal protective equipment (PPE) as required by supervisor and based on conditions.
- Develops critical thinking, technical, and professional communication skills. Communicates verbally and in writing results of patient care information.
- Acquires knowledge and competencies of Community Health Worker (CHW) by completing assigned modules or attending assigned classes. Applies CHW knowledge and techniques appropriate for the setting and assigned client encounter.
- Delivers meals to patients or members of the community as assigned. Applies knowledge learned from Community Health Worker modules. Practices appropriate physical distancing as encounter requires.
- Provides basic health screening for staff at change of shift including completing questionnaire and taking temperature. Records information on log sheet. Maintains confidentiality of responses. (Assigned only after competency validation. Will be provided instructions for notifying a licensed nurse or department manager for any positive questionnaire responses.)
- Complies with all applicable statutes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Enhances own professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops. Attends all mandatory meetings.
- Maintains confidentiality of resident, client, guest information and the business of the organization.
- Practices effective communication and interpersonal skills to enhance positive teamwork and relationships both internally and externally.
- Understands and models the organizations’ mission, vision and values.
- Willingly performs other duties as assigned or requested.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be enrolled and complete a state-approved Nurse Aide Training Programs.
- Previous experience in health care or providing personal care in a home setting preferred.
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language. Must have patience, tact, flexibility and an ability to work harmoniously with others. Clean, well-groomed appearance. Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care/service appropriate to the resident/patient.
- Must meet the mental and physical standards deemed necessary for performance of duties including the ability to lift medical equipment, supplies, etc.
- Must maintain current driver’s license in the State of Hawaii, auto insurance, and access to reliable transportation. Must successfully pass any pre-employment assessment(s) and requirements as required by Hale Makua.
Non-Bargaining, Non-exempt. Wage Rate is $17.00/hr. (Full-time)