Neighborhood (Nursing Unit) Supervisors, RNs
The Neighborhood Supervisor is responsible to the Director of Nursing and supervises all neighborhood personnel. Works closely with residents, families, physicians and other nursing personnel. Frequent contact with other staff members and representatives of community facilities and organizations.
- Plans, develops and organizes work tasks; coordinates supervises and evaluates employees. Coordinates the neighborhood’s services and activities in consultation with the Director of Nursing.
- Assists in achieving Hale Makua’s mission through effective resident care in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Makes periodic rounds on the neighborhood to assure the appropriate resident care is being rendered and residents have a clean, safe, orderly and comfortably environment. Assures compliance with current applicable regulations and Hale Makua policies and procedures. Assures the appropriate and economic utilization of supplies and equipment.
- Plans and supervises resident care. Continually assesses residents’ physical conditions and participates in resident planning conferences. Monitors quality indicators and ensures positive outcomes to the extent possible. Actively participates in and supports continuous quality improvement efforts. Participates in admission and discharge planning.
- Recommends selection, promotions and transfers of staff. Provides orientation and training as necessary. Supervises and evaluates work performance to ensure compliance with directives, and established policies and procedures. Coaches, commends and counsels staff as appropriate. Issues verbal warnings on own initiative; initiates written warnings and recommends suspension or discharge to the Director of Nursing.
- Assigns duties to professional and non-professional personnel according to the needs of the residents. Monitors staffing, census, and acuity to see that staffing is consistent with resident needs and budgetary control.
- Maintains high morale among neighborhood staff treating staff in respectful and caring manner, evaluating performance fairly, taking appropriate and timely action with staff, and keeping staff informed of matters.
- Meets with neighborhood personnel on a regular basis to assist in identifying and correcting problem areas, and improving services.
- Identifies, provides and/or arranges for teaching and training as needed by residents, staff and families (i.e. recommends plans for personnel development; confers with Clinical Development Coordinator and Nursing Supervisors).
- Ensures safety of staff and residents through continuous monitoring of compliance with infection control guidelines and safety rules as appropriate. Actively supports a safety culture. Regularly discusses safety issues with staff. Immediately and thoroughly investigates all incidents/accidents and assures prompt follow-up with focus on prevention.
- Ensures documentation in the resident medical record is complete and accurate. Ensures physician and family members are notified in a timely manner of changes in resident’s condition and other pertinent information.
- Attends required meetings, in-services, classes. Serves on committees and task forces as requested.
- Maintains good communications with superiors and subordinates on matters of pertinence. Works cooperatively and effectively with other departments. Promotes good public relations with residents, physicians, families and the community.
- Keeps abreast of current developments in the field of long term care nursing and maintains proficiency in clinical and administrative skills.
Full-time, day shift position in our KahuluiCampus (facility). Work hours from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm with flexibility dependent on operations on neighborhood (Nursing Unit)..
- Graduate from an accredited school of nursing; current State of Hawaii Registered Nurse license. Bachelor degree preferred.
- At least three (3) years experience in a hospital or a long term care facility. Experience in psychiatric nursing desirable. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of general nursing theory and practice, including basic knowledge related to nursing and their application for better understanding of resident care problems. Familiarity with organization and function of all departments; with all policies, regulations, and procedures of Hale Makua. Knowledge of application of principles of supervision in assigning, and evaluating activities of staff.
- Excellent clinical skills. Good communication and interpersonal skills. Organizational ability to plan and manage a nursing neighborhood. Problem solving ability, ability to set priorities and delegate duties. Sound judgment and sincere desire to work with elderly and those with limited capacity for self care. Must have flexibility, maturity, and the ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others. Professional appearance and demeanor.
Non-Bargaining. Salary based on education and relevant nursing work experience.