Restorative Nursing & Infection Control Program Supervisor
Responsible to the Director of Nursing at Hale Makua Kahului and supervises all staff in the Restorative Nursing Program. Works closely with residents, families, physicians, the interdisciplinary team (IDT), and community agencies.
RESTORATIVE NURSING PROGRAM
- As a licensed nurse, supervises the activities in the Restorative Nursing Program (RNP)..
- Conducts assessment for candidates for admission to RNP. Reviews existing care plans and MDS assessments.
- Initiates plans of care for residents admitted to RNP. Sets and monitors goals.
- Ensures required documentation is specific to the resident, addresses frequency and duration of RNP activities.
- Delegates work appropriately to the Head Restorative Aide and other Restorative Aides.
- Recommends selection and promotion of RNP staff. Supervises and evaluates work performance to ensure compliance with directives, and established policies and procedures. Coaches, commends and counsels care partners as appropriate. Issues verbal and written warnings on own initiative; initiates and recommends suspension or discharge to the Director of Nursing..
INFECTION CONTROL PREVENTIONIST, HALE MAKUA KAHULUI
- Develops and implements practices to improve patient care through infection surveillance and prevention activities. Supervises and conducts on-going surveillance of Hale Makua Kahului residents and staff.
- Serves as a working member of the Infection Control Committee, responsible for coordinating, implementing and evaluating the standards of patient care developed by the Committee. Compiles, interprets, analyzes and reports surveillance data to Committee.
- Designs prevention activities to prevent the spread of organisms to Hale Makua’s residents, patients, employees, medical staff members, service workers, volunteer students and visitors.
- Promotes collaboration with the patient care teams to ensure compliance with basic infection prevention principles.
- Ensures reporting of infections and/or communicable diseases to the appropriate public health authority. Continues self-education by reviewing current literature, attending workshops, seminars and formal courses.
- Maintains all staff and resident vaccinations and ensures current as required by CMS and DOH.
- Complies with all applicable statutes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Enhances own professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops. Attends all mandatory meetings.
- Maintains confidentiality of resident, client, guest information and the business of the organization.
- Practices effective communication and interpersonal skills to enhance positive teamwork and relationships both internally and externally.
- Answers guest call bells and alarms within scope of authority.
- Understands and models the organizations’ mission, vision and values.
- Willingly performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Full-time. Work schedule is Monday to Friday, Day Shift.
- Graduate from an accredited school of nursing; current State of Hawaii RN license required.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in a hospital or a long term care facility. Previous experience in Infection Prevention and Certification (ICP) in Infection Prevention are highly desirable; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Supervisory experience preferred. Must be able to complete ICP certification within 3 months of hire.
- Knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid services, habilitative, and restorative services, assessments and care planning, and all applicable CMS regulations, guidelines, and policies. An ability to implement and evaluate the effectiveness of Eldercare approaches. Knowledge of application of principles of supervision in assigning, and evaluating activities of staff. Knowledge of Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
- Demonstrated leadership abilities. Patience, active listening skills, verbal and non-verbal communication skills. Problem solving ability, ability to set priorities and delegate duties. Demonstrate sense of humor and respect for all people you come in contact with. A career that is free from abuse, neglect, and professional nursing license violations.
- Must meet the mental and physical standards deemed necessary for performance of duties including but not limited to: The ability to deal with stress. Examples of these stresses include, but are not limited to unusual or impaired behavior by Elders, family reactions to having a loved one in the home, death and dying, oversight of State Surveyors, Ombudsmen, and Federal officials, presence of consultants and Attorneys, and variable involvement of medical staff. Must be able to move freely about and push or lift 50 lbs or more safely. This role will include occasional climbing and balancing, regular stooping, bending, standing, sitting, and reaching. You must be able to speak, read, and write the English language in an understandable manner. You must be able to see and hear, or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately, to ensure that the requirements of this role can be fully met.
Non-Bargaining Salary based on education and relevant work experience.